from left: Sonia, me, Mary, and Carrie at an ultimate
tournament in Montreal, July 1997
The cats now have their own page.
Comparatively Recent Photos
Before Yellowstone, I was an SCA intern at Big Bend National Park in the
fall of 2005, then at the Don Edwards San Francisco Bay National Wildlife
Refuge in the spring of 2006.
- Fellow rangers
Melissa, Irene, and Rachael take a break from training at park
headquarters in Mammoth Hot Springs.
- Irene looking happy
at Artist Point
- I've just biked up to
the Continental Divide for the first time
- Dan visited me for my birthday, and we went backpacking. Here we are near the summit of Mount
Washburn and here I am
descending the east side towards Sevenmile Hole.
- The wildflowers and the
views were incredible
- Dan at Artist Point
with the Lower Falls of the Yellowstone River in the background
- Two young bison (a calf
and a yearling) go galumphing past ...
- ... while two bulls butt
- Beehive is my favorite
- ... but Great Fountain is
a contender too ...
- ... and who could leave out
- Sunrise over Black
- Cliff Geyser at
- Mudpots are
- So far, my favorite hike in Yellowstone involves going up Bunsen
Peak (phenomenal views!) and down the other side into Sheepeater Canyon to
see Osprey Falls
- The hike to Fairy Falls is less interesting, but the falls themselves are lovely
- The Sepulcher Mountain loop is a great trail with great views, but it was pretty stormy when I went
- I camped out at Heart Lake all by myself, and took a couple of
pictures with the timer: that's Mt. Sheridan in the
background, and here I
am writing in my journal
- There was a marmot who
liked to hang out near my campsite
- Hiking out from Heart Lake, I met up with Andrew, Rebecca, and
- We found a beautiful mountain lion
track. That's Rebecca's hand for scale.
- Speaking of cats, here's
Oreo, fascinated by Dave's fingers scraping along a vent in my floor
- In early August, I went and helped band songbirds for the first time
ever. I'm holding an
orange-crowned warbler. Here's a close-up, and here's another.
- The same orange-crowned warbler, held by Katy--here you can see the
- MacGillivray's warbler
- Yellow warbler
- Me with a caveman-quality
- Dave and Tomato Soup
I lived in the city of San Francisco for over six years after college.
- The Chisos Mountains in Big Bend National Park
- Atop Emory Peak, the highest point in
- Cara in the Detroiter on my cow stool, a
- Fellow Detroiter resident Ross with a
fishhook cactus (Big Bend has more species of cactus than any other
- Norman, a javelina, didn't live in
the Detroiter, but he lived under it
- What I'd look like if I grew antlers
- A grainy Ben on a full moon hike
near Boulder, Colorado, where I visited him in between internships
- I'm standing with Naghma, one of my
housemates at the wildlife refuge
- Fellow interns and housemates Vaughn,
Nicole, Lindy, and Naghma
- On a day off, Danek and I went tidepooling in Marin. I'm poking
a sea anemone!
- Right before I left for Yellowstone, my old housemate Sarah and I went hiking at Mount Diablo
My nephew Timmy was born in August 2000. He lives in New Jersey and has an extensive photo gallery of
his own. I haven't gotten around to editing most of these to smaller sizes for slow connections (or easier
I became an aunt for the second time thanks to my brother and
sister-in-law here in the Bay Area. Meet my niece Sophia!
And then in the fall of 2005 my sister had her second baby, Laura.
- Joyce enjoying the bridal shower I threw for her in January 2004 (179k)
- I held the shower on the one-week anniversary of my nose piercing, so this is
my first pierced-nose photo (156k)
- All the celebrants outside Lovejoy's Tea Room, which was universally
- My class from the QuickStart program at library school, June 2003.
Affectionately dubbed "library camp" by, well, me. I'm the one in yellow. (49k)
- Here's a picture of me in my brand-new Dark Garden corset, August 2003. (12k)
- Speaking of corsets, here's my former housemate Erin looking lovely in a red and
black ensemble (25k)
- My housemate-before-Erin, Kate, went hiking with me at Mount Diablo in February
- Danek was with us that day, but he took the picture, so you can see him in
my Bernal Heights apartment instead. This photo makes me laugh. Boot to the head! (15k)
- Denise and Zach, visiting from the East Coast in May
- Maura and Kate at Potlatch in Seattle, July 2000 (23k)
Older and Less Interesting Stuff.
Several pictures from Havasu Canyon,
Arizona, Thanksgiving 1999
Miscellaneous Princeton photos:
- Frighteningly, Carrie and I, shown after Campus Club
initiations in February '97, had already washed up a bit. (119k)
- Me juggling in the Tetons, summer '97. (53k)
- Denise, Kate, and me at College Easterns, March '97. (105k)
- The women of Clockwork Orange at one in a series of cold, wet, windy
- Me and Danek in Virginia, May '98. (89k)
- Joyce with my rat Phoebe, sometime junior
- My beloved ultimate team. (240k)
Graduation, June 1999:
- Carrie, Amanda, and me (91k)
- Me with Enakshi (79k)
- Me with my roommates from sophomore year, Sheila and Anna (58k)
- Amanda, Rachel, Elizabeth, Carrie, and Ayyanna, with Nina down front (73k)
- Carrie and Allen (120k)
- Janine, Ryan, Jason, and Andrew (69k)
- Cindy Lin, who went to high school with me, and someone I don't know (72k)
- Will DeVries and Joyce Wu (107k) -- married since April 2004! Aww.
- Atu and Ingrid (66k)
- Ryan and Ange (64k)
- Amelia (82k)
- Sean Garrett-Roe and me (110k)
- Christian, me, and Celeste (102k)
cmbell (at) comfychair (dot) org